Minority Rules

Having overwhelming majorities for an entire year has only resulted in delay after delay on anything from presidential appointees to legislation. The only conclusion I can draw from it is Democrats did not want to pass reform. A long-time senate staffer seems to confirm this very point expanding upon a comment I made yesterday:
The worst is that I can't help but feel like the main emotion people in the caucus are feeling is relief at this turn of events. Now they have a ready excuse for not getting anything done. While I always thought we had the better ideas but the weaker messaging, it feels like somewhere along the line Members internalized a belief that we actually have weaker ideas. They're afraid to actually implement them and face the judgement of the voters. That's the scariest dynamic and what makes me think this will all come crashing down around us in November.
I don't think they ever wanted to do it in the first place. Sixty votes were never required to pass HCR and not one single Republican ever had to be included. Suggesting either of those routes can only mean wanting to purposely delay the outcome if not kill it altogether.

So I called a friend working in Sen. Durbin's office to get his take. Why did Dems insist on 60 votes and why has it taken 10 months to get to this point? His answer was "that's what the White House wanted." To paraphrase him he said the White House wanted reform to be as bipartisan as possible, to ruffle as little feathers as possible when it came to including the opposition. And to keep Members happy because they needed support on future legislation like an energy bill and/or a jobs bill.

I told him by doing it that way, the Democrats made the largest majority in Congress since WWII an official minority party. He didn't deny it.

Health care reform was never a possibility with this Congress. They are too afraid they might be responsible for doing their job. I've never seen anything like it. It's a dereliction of duty and a profound case of incompetence. Inexplicable and totally without reason.

The Fold Blog welcomes all comments as a means of engaging the political debate. Comments from new visitors may take a moment to appear on the site. Some may go through a moderator as well. Please be patient. Click here to read our comment policy.

Free HTML