Life Will Go On

I pretty much did nothing yesterday. In doing so I missed David Weigel's apparent firing from the WaPo blog page.

I first started reading Weigel when he was at the Washington Independent.  I linked to him there.  And when he moved to WaPo I switched my link over to his new blog.  Wherever he ends up after this, I'll again switch my sidebar link to it.

The short of it is Weigel has been branded by the lunatic right wing as being a fake Republican or conservative.  They've never liked the fact he gets to cover "conservative" figures.  So they got a hold of some of his "off the record" emails and printed them.  In some of them he tells Matt Drudge to set himself on fire.  And for this the right wing is furious.  You have to praise Drudge, Bush, Fox News and Fat Limbaugh or you're a liberal, terrorists supporting, fascist, commie.  That's just the way it is and will always be.  Disagreement is tantamount to anti-Americanism.

It's always been my understanding that Dave Weigel is a Libertarian and not a conservative.  At least not a conservative in the Bush-Reagan sense.  I've never thought of him as a Democrat.  But who cares.  I liked what he wrote and I would have linked to him even if he considered himself a Republican or a Green.  Right now I currently link to four Republican blogs.  Big deal.  I like what they write and I read them.  Just because I disagree with them 99% of the time doesn't make them an enemy or someone who hates this country.  They are just people that have different opinions and beliefs than me.  There's no reason to question their sincerity for this country.

So for now I'll just wait for Dave to get a new job and read him again.  But really, everybody kind of needs to lighten up a bit.  Just think, instead of sitting in our wonderful air-conditioned offices we could be in Iraq or Afghanistan sweating our balls off where the last thing on our minds would be Matt Drudge or the voices page of the Washington Post.  Ain't a one of us got anything to complain about.

0 comments :

The Fold Blog welcomes all comments as a means of engaging the political debate. Comments from new visitors may take a moment to appear on the site. Some may go through a moderator as well. Please be patient. Click here to read our comment policy.

Free HTML