How in the world anyone could advocate more oil drilling at this current point in time is beyond me. It would take someone on the far side of crazy to even think of pushing for more drilling considering the catastrophe in the Gulf of Mexico. Yet that is exactly what half-term Alaska Governor Sarah Palin is doing.
Using her twatter page, she queeved to the whole world:
"Extreme Greenies: see now why we push 'drill,baby,drill' of known reserves; promising finds in safe onshore places like ANWR? Now do you get it?"
No I don't get it. First off, I'm no "Extreme Greenie." Opposing more drilling doesn't make me extreme in the least bit. In fact I supported it wholeheartedly, like an idiot, up until this very preventable disaster in the Gulf. Nor do I even consider myself "Green" in any way, shape or form. In my state the Green Party is an official and legal political party. It appears on the ballot every time. Never once have I voted for it. If I were so "Green," I would do it every time. Furthermore, I drive an SUV; participate in not one single recycling program and buy bottled water by the truck load. I'm pretty much a walking cloud of CO2. But whatever. Anyone that may oppose something a Republican supports is always an extremist. With us or against us. Vote Bush or you're anti-American. No in-between. Either more drilling or you're an "Extreme Greenie."
Additionally and predictably, Palin is trying to cover up the fact that not only did she support more drilling onshore, she wanted more of it OFFSHORE too! In 2008 while campaigning as the Republican VP candidate, she called offshore drilling "safe, environmentally-friendly." Even going as far as to state that with new technologies offshore drilling created "tiny footprints." While the whole country is saddened and genuinely angry by the growing catastrophe in the Gulf that is directly related to our oil addiction, Sarah Palin is demanding we do more of it because it is "safe" and "friendly." Incredible.
*Update:
Brian Beutler digs up much more recent pro offshore drilling statements from Palin from a blog post that she wrote in March for the right wing The Corner. In it she decries the Obama administration is not doing enough to promote offshore drilling. That his policies are too little too late. Today, though, she claims the BP Gulf disaster proves she's right because she meant onshore drilling.
**Update:
Disgusting enough to think that Sarah Palin believes the BP oil spill proves she's right about more drilling when she's clearly wrong. Though what may be worse is the Republican effort to portray the disaster as an Act of God.
Last month Texas Governor Rick Perry referred to the leak as an Act of God that couldn't be predicted. On Monday, Republican Rep. Tom Cole of Oklahoma also called the disaster an Act of God that no one could have stopped.
What idiots. Clearly idiotic in every sense. An explosion on a man-made oil rig is not an Act of God. Such things are predictable, like not drilling in the first place. Everything about it is man-made, very predictable and has nothing to do with unforeseen events.
The Fold Blog welcomes all comments as a means of engaging the political debate. Comments from new visitors may take a moment to appear on the site. Some may go through a moderator as well. Please be patient. Click here to read our comment policy.