Getting There

I've been reading through some of the HCR updates this morning and it doesn't look promising for supporters of a public option (or a Medicare buy-in, which is a public option). Both seem to be in file 13 this morning. Okay. Whatever. I never had much faith in any Senate that Harry Reid was in charge of. I also never had that much faith in Democratic unity especially after the summer months when Dems wanted to be portrayed as tough macho men by running scared from standing up to the debate.

It's worth mentioning the Democratic majorities today are larger than anything the GOP ever had from 1995-2007. Aside from war without end, what did they give their base that they can brag about today? Tax cuts? Sure, but you have to include the fact those tax cuts contribute to 40% of the record setting deficits we face today. Bitter sweet I suppose. So these things come and go and most of the time you end up disappointed. I say this because I don't see the Senate bill as a defeat for Democrats. I see it as a defeat for real reform. The bill the president signs will be landmark legislation, something no president has ever been able to accomplish. There shouldn't be any shying away from that aspect. Majorities, large or small, really don't matter when it comes to what those men and women representing us are able at the end of the day to accomplish. It's worth being disappointed about, I'll admit that. But add up the legislative accomplishments of this Congress and the last and compare it to any of the last 40 years and I'd say progressives should be somewhat satisfied in knowing we have changed things, maybe more than we realize.

The Fold Blog welcomes all comments as a means of engaging the political debate. Comments from new visitors may take a moment to appear on the site. Some may go through a moderator as well. Please be patient. Click here to read our comment policy.

Free HTML