Are you ready for some... getting ready for some football?

In just a few hours, the NFL will begin the 2010 Draft.

Having grown up in a region without a strong college football tradition, I have long been a fan of the pro league. So draft day has always been a sign of things to come.

I follow and support the Patriots, the Redskins, and, despite the apostasy, the Jets. Really, I am a fan of the game as much as any team and I am more than happy to watch any two teams so long as they are talented and well managed. Except the Dolphins and Broncos. They know why.

The Redskins have the 4th overall pick in the first round and nearly everyone expects them to take Okung, the OT from Oklahoma. He's a clear talent and now that the Skins have traded for Donovan McNabb, a top blind side warrior is important (although Donovan is still pretty mobile, he is not the young scrambler he once was). Still, if they could trade down for more aggregate skill, I'd pull the trigger on a good offer.

The Patriots are in the enviable position of having four picks in the first two rounds (#s 22, 44, 47, & 53). They need them. Although they still have a lot of top line talent, they've had their once incomparable depth depleted by trade, injury and free agency. They need help in several areas to be an elite team this year. They need improved pass rushing, receiving options not named Randy Moss or Wes Welker, and at least one solid OT to help that line protect Tom Fucking Brady. There are a number of solid players to pick from, although without moving up in the draft they won't get a player with Okung's skill. There has been some recent chatter that Tim Tebow might end up being called with one of NE's 2nd round picks. It's something on with to keep an eye.

The Jets have the 29th pick in the first round and I expect them to pull a Defensive End. Rex Ryan is going to keep on keeping on with his Ravens-on-Hudson model. No complaints here. The addition of Jason Taylor yesterday from Miami is going to make trips to the as of yet unnamed stadium in NJ not so much fun for opponents. Ouch.

I'd say this draft pool is better than average, but not a bumper crop. Mostly a lot of solid skill set players. And since this year may ring the bell on the current salary cap structure, it will be worth watching to see if non-competitive teams will let some talent they know will be looking for big $ soon slide by them.

I'm ready for some drafting.

The Fold Blog welcomes all comments as a means of engaging the political debate. Comments from new visitors may take a moment to appear on the site. Some may go through a moderator as well. Please be patient. Click here to read our comment policy.

Free HTML