Sorry Charlie


I really am of two minds about the US Senate race in Florida. At some point before this Friday's filing deadline, it's all going to come to a head.

One the one hand, Crist is by all account an effective governor and able public official. He has demonstrated an understanding of the complexity of legislation and leadership. And has repeatedly taken positions contrary to the national GOP's in order to support / represent the views of his constituents. Plus he's worked across the aisle on important issues and is generally popular. According to Rassmussen, he's polling at near 60% job approval as governor.

All-in-all, he may as well be the poster boy for the centrist & serious candidates that everyone tells you they want.

On the other hand, Crist is also so one of them. He's a villager. You can't swing a cat in DC without hitting a half dozen people like Charlie Crist. As serious and impressive as he may be, isn't he the type of guy we've been sending to Washington all along? And are we really all that pleased with the results?

Many bristle at the discordant atmosphere in our nation's capital, and when I am being lazy about it, I do too. On more than one occasion I've rolled my eyes when Sen. Colburn has taken to the Senate well in full bombast. When I was a staffer, I used to tut-tut at those who caused the perfect to be the enemy of the good. And I've always defended incremental progress as being better than none.

But it feels different now. I don't know why. This cycle, I am more inclined to support candidates who may fall outside the mainstream - including outside my own ideological comfort zone - if only to shake things up. Even if that means the rancor and pressure builds. Maybe the dam needs to break; maybe we have to hit bottom before it can really and truly improve.

Sorry Charlie. If I were in Florida, I'd vote for Rubio too.

The Fold Blog welcomes all comments as a means of engaging the political debate. Comments from new visitors may take a moment to appear on the site. Some may go through a moderator as well. Please be patient. Click here to read our comment policy.

Free HTML