Specter Can't Have it Both Ways

Last May I wrote that I felt something was disingenuous about Arlen Specter's party switch.
Maybe Specter can be summed up as being his own man, and if you include that to mean all the self-serving perks along with it, then I would agree with you. Right now I'd like to see Specter get beat in the Democratic primary. I'm also willing to bet Specter is either going to support the president's agenda or not even bother with that primary.
I still wouldn't mind seeing him get beat in the primary.  Though I don't really care either way.  But one thing Specter did do was he became one of the champions of President Obama's agenda.  I think he would continue that support if he were to be reelected in November.  The disingenuous part really shines when his Democratic credentials are put on display.  Kudos to Chris Matthews for reminding everyone you don't just wake up one morning and decide your entire career shouldn't be a model for how you should be judged today.



Then again, imagine if Matthews or anyone in the media had been this grilling during the run up to invasion of Iraq or about the massive deficits the Bush administration had created.

The Fold Blog welcomes all comments as a means of engaging the political debate. Comments from new visitors may take a moment to appear on the site. Some may go through a moderator as well. Please be patient. Click here to read our comment policy.

Free HTML